Monday, May 25, 2020

The Road to Redhaven

Queue the Skyrim soundtrack. 

Before we depart Highwatch, Nissus hopes to get some information about the raiders who captured Aered. So Gather Information, and since I have a bond with the town I get +1. 6 vs 2/2 - a match on the challenge die means something positive, and I take +2 Momentum - up to +6 now.

But what is she asking about? All I know so far is that she knows fearsome raider hit Deepwater hard, and took warriors. I should generate some details about this raider... I think leaving off his true name for now, as well as his Goal (that will be a milestone action methinks), let's come up with some physical descriptions she can use as well as his 'raiding' name. 85 & 35 & 15.   Loyal, and Dangerous, and Bold.  Yeah, that makes sense.  This game doesn't have much in the way of physical descriptor oracles, so I am going to say he's an intimidating man, standing over 6'5", and armed with a long axe. He wades into battle with little armor, wearing a banded mail skirt, bared torso, and wearing a helmet with two curved horns adorning each side, like a ram's head.  Kinda like this guy: [link]

  

Nissus spends the day gathering supplies and talking with the villagers of Highwatch. She begins asking folks about the summer Raids, describing the details that were conveyed to her by Shelda. After a long morning of nothing, she meets a young woman who, upon hearing the description, her eyes widen and grabs Nissus' hand and says, "Come with me."  With the promise of information she is brought to a hut where a woman of Nissus' age lies convalescing on a bed. Her head and one arm are bandaged, and scars whorl about her arms and neck - clearly she was a in a battle. 

"Elwyn, this one is looking for information about The Bold." 

Her eyes flutter open, and she grimaces. "You're the one who dealt with the mystic yesterday?" I nod. She looks me up and down, "You don't look like much yourself, but if what my sister tells me is true, you have a spine of steel. They call him Kuron the Bold.  He spent the summer raiding the isles and coasts. I was in Redhaven, trading, when he struck.  I ended up as you see me.  He practically raised the village, and took many of their healthy who bent the knee to save their families. Seek out Euros. If anyone can tell where The Bold went next, it would be he."  She falls back on her bed, closes her eyes and returns to rest. 

To Redhaven! 

His raiding name is Kuron the Bold.  Fuck this guy.  I count that as a milestone on my quest; I mark 2 progress. But before I am off, I think I need to spend this experience! 

I am going to upgrade my Shield-Bearer - in consultation with his lordship Daviau, I have determined that Highwatch has sought fit to grant me their shield; iron bound with the sigils of their town and painted with a stylized shade, denoting me as the savior of Highwatch from the shade. We'll come up with a cool name for this later.



 With my new shield in hand, I depart for Redhaven.  The route to Redhaven is dangerous, so I mark it as such. Even with my +1 bond to start the journey, and good momentum, I rolled a miss. Shhhhhit. 

A days out, I end up in the tiny village of High Bridge; a small stop on the way North. It's named for the small rope bridge that crosses a deep east-west river canyon, shortening the journey North by a day.  Unfortunately the rope bridge is out of commission and under repair.  So I must go further north to bypass the deep canyon. While spending time in the town trying to learn how to navigate my way around the canyon, I ask about Kuron the Bold.  One of the villagers shares with Nissus the knowledge that Kuron doesn't keep his prisoners long... I must race against time to save Aered.





Clearly this stressful. I roll for stress, and Mojo gives me a +1; a strong hit! I take -1 Momentum but I am resolved so gain +1 Spirit. The Journey continues, a strong hit, I choose to gain momentum (now +6) but I burn through supplies feeding my ravenous beast-dog Mojo. –1 to Supply which leaves me at +2 overall. Another Journey - a weak hit this time, suffer –1 supply. I am running low on supply so I am going to Resupply by foraging/hunting.  A weak hit; I take +2 supply for a –2 momentum, leaving me at +4 momentum. More journeying... twice... a strong hit and then a weak hit. So mark 4 progress total, and lose a supply.  Let's close this journey off... I attempt to Reach my Destination and I roll a weak hit...  you arrive but face an unforeseen hazard or complication. 

The Settlement Oracle tells me Dreadful Omens. 

As Nissus crests a small hill beyond the outskirts of the village, she hears the unmistakable sound of warning bells being rung.  She notes that it's two toned, meaning something supernatural or fearsome has been spotted and Redhaven is calling it's people back within the palisade walls.  This is not going to be good...







No comments:

Post a Comment