Sunday, May 17, 2020

Prelude — The Road to Morraine's Sanctuary

So... I flagged this vow as Formidable, and the journey to the ruins of Morraine's Sanctuary as Dangerous.

{I think a good rule of thumb, to prevent too much nesting on vows and actually make progress, the subsequent moves should mostly be comprised of efforts 1 level below the current vow/move.   I was going to set this journey to Troublesome, but because of my weak hit on Gather Information, I increased it one level.  I'll let some of the outcomes push it up or down further, as well as the think of the needs of the story.} 

We begin this dangerous journey with +5 momentum and full supply. 

It's just two hours after midday when Mojo and I set off. Themon and Pendry leave me at the edge of the settlement—Pendry isn't aware of the cowardice of Themon yet. His cowardice sickens me. But Highwatch deserves better than its damnation at the spectral hands of this spirit. If I can bring release to to Polliver's ancestor's spirit, then I will do so, and Themon and Pendry will give me the info I need to find Aered. 


Move: Undertake a Journey: 8 vs 5/6 = strong hit. reach a waypoint. Because I am in a hurry, I will choose to move at speed; mark progress +1 momentum, –1 supply. Since I am at healthy and undamaged, I will press on. I pressed my luck too much! 7 vs 10/10 = a miss! I am waylaid by a perilous event and a twist is added (for the double 10s). Pay the Price... ⏣ 25 = something of value is lost or destroyed. Truly this is not good...

I was fording what appeared to be a small river; Mojo was barking in warning at the banks as I probed the edges for a stable ford. I should have listed to him. I thought I had found a good crossing; I put Mojo across my shoulders to keep him from being swept downstream, but a misstep on a river stone caused me to lose my balance. Mojo was being swept downstream! I swam hard to him (thank the gods we outer islanders are more than capable swimmers!), but we moved many meters south of the ford into dangerous, turbulent waters. I managed to get him just before we was pulled into a hard rapid and we forced our way to the banks.  When I emerged, I discovered I lost my sword... I am left now with my long knife, my shield, a soggy pack of supplies, and a grumpy wolf-mutt. But I would trade my sword for Mojo again if I had to revisit this choice. 

Let me see what the complication is... I will roll on the Threat tables. Rampaging Creature... great. 

The river has carried us further than I thought. We are now off course, and to make it worse, Rhun has sought to place us in the path of some fell beast.  We emerged into a copse of twisted and gnarled trees, scratch marks and particularly odorous scat. It is fresh and warm and as I begin to back away, Mojo begins to snarl in warning. I glance up as a the beast steps quietly to the edge of the copse...

I guess it's time to learn to fight in Ironsworn. 

1 comment:

  1. The oracles reveal: it is a human-sized, many eyed, and large clawed beast. I envision something akin to a very large panther, with 3 pairs of black eyes on a sloping forward with a long and wide jaw. I shall name it a Karrox.

    ReplyDelete