Saturday, May 16, 2020

Prelude Continued

Here's a quick view of my setup for play (after some Covid work-from-home investments have been delivered) 



I'm using Trello to write down the characters, locations, etc. Here's my board. 
I use Labels to identify them as bonds, settlements, people, etc. which I can use to quickly search/find content even if archived (say I return to a settlement I haven't visited in some time).  I am a very visual person, so I love being able to attach images and art to the cards for quick reference. 

PS - you can grab a free PDF of the ruleset at https://www.ironswornrpg.com/

back to the story...

I've met Pendry once before [Brave, Disfigured], so the jagged scar that runs from eyebrow to chin, splitting his nose, doesn't unsettle me. I've seen many carls and named men with much worse. I ask him whether I might consult the seer who is said to reside here. 

As I am trying to charm him, I take the Compel move; for charm I roll +Heart. Mine is 3. Very good! 

I envision Nissus as a stupendously courageous shield maiden of 19 Summers (the summer's are the most gentle of months here in the Ironlands, so ages are oft reckoned by the passing of Summers.). She can be charming, but is more often serious & resolute, both mentally and physically tough, with a quick, observant mind.  She fights with sword and board, and tends to be somewhat defensive, taking her opponents attacks on her shield or dodging out of the way, looking for an opening upon which she quickly strikes. She is pragmatic, and loves her brother dearly. He is her only remaining family.

Her starting stats are: Edge 1; Heart 3; Iron 2; Shadow 1; Wits 2. 

Back to my attempt to Compel... I roll... [3 on d6 + 3 = 6 versus my challenge die: 2 & 8. A Weak hit. Not great, but... with a Weak Hit on Compel they give you what you want and gain +1 Momentum, but they ask for something in return.  

I roll for his Disposition and his Goal: he's Wanting and his goal is ... to escape from something.  How ominous! 

Pendry says he will introduce me to Themon the Mystic, but I may come to regret his visions. However, I have the look of a hardened warrior and... [rolls Settlement trouble to see what he wants to escape...77!: A Wrathful Haunt...] it seems that the town has been plagued by a spirit of some sort. It has wreaked havoc on the town of late (explains why it's so dark and mystical feeling- This further explains why no one here seems to have slept in days. )

Themon has been hard hit by this daemon, perhaps it was this daemon who gave him his mysical powers in the first place.  We shall have to consult with him to learn more.  

I say, "If it is within my power to do something to relieve Highwatch from this daemon, I shall do so. Bring me to Themon and we will discuss terms."

Themon [Remorseful, Dying] is an old man, wasting away before my eyes. He speaks just above a whisper and tells me about this spirit. [I decide to link his two traits to this haunt - he is remorseful because some action of his has turned the spirit evil or against him, and it is now avenging the wrong. Where once Themon was a conduit for the spirit, he and the rest of the settlement are now its victim.]  In his quivering old man's voice he tells me that the spirit is the ancestor of someone he struck down. A family member of his own, that he killed through cowardice. They were before a battle, and Themon was no great warrior. His cousin was chiding him to toughen up and face his fears like a man of the clans. An argument erupted, and Themon accidentally killed his cousin to escape having to step forward in the upcoming battle.  He told the others that it was his cousin who had pleaded cowardice and tried to kill Themon to escape the battle. And so he his body was left in a mass grave at the sight of the battle, disgraced.
The Spirit, who had been aiding Themon with visions, is that cousin's ancestor, and somehow recently learned of Themon's betrayal, his act of cowardice and now seeks to destroy him and the town. Themon suggests that he knows where Aered was taken. He had visions of the warchief who took him just before the battle - it's how Highwatch avoided being raided by the same raids. He will share what he knows if I can find a way to quell the spirit's anger. Perhaps if this cousin's remains were better interred or a personal possession were brought back to Highwatch... 

Very well, I say.  I draw forth my knife, cutting a furrow on my palm and grasp my iron talisman in hand. "This I swear before the old gods and the new, a vow of iron and blood, that I shall do what I can to quiet this eidolon of Highwatch. I shall put your cousin to rest." 

No comments:

Post a Comment