Saturday, May 16, 2020

Prelude

My name is Nissus and I have sworn an Iron vow to find my younger brother Aerad. 

Between us, I am the better warrior, so it was I who was selected for the summer journeys & raids. We spent the months traveling the Ragged Coast, bartering where we were able, raiding when it became necessary, gathering the supplies our people needed to survive what we knew would be a harsh winter. Things are always harsh in these Ironlands, but truly the winters are long and cold at the edges of Mother Sea.  In Deepwater, located at the edges of the Barrier Islands, life is hard, the islands are rocky and bereft of good soil.

My assets include: my loyal hound Mojo (he aids me when I endure stress), I am a Veteran of many raids and travels (allows me to regain Momentum in combat faster than normal), and a Shield-Bearer (which allows gives me special bonuses when I Face Danger or Clash).



I have been on more than a dozen raids in my 19 summers, and have stood as shield-bearer in the circle for such named men as Deshi Threefingers, and Kelm The Broad. My wolfhound Mojo is fearless and ever at my side, and he shall bring me luck in my quest to find my brother.

It was at the end of a long, but successful summer campaign when we returned to find out village raided.  Many were killed, and our youngest, including Aered were taken. At 15 he was growing into a fine warrior, so I am surprised when he is not reckoned among the dead.  A survivor, an old and wizened warrior-mentor to me, Shelda, tells me this raid was unlike any other she had encountered, with fell beasts supporting the dark figure. They somehow rendered many of our warriors weak and took them, and it would seam Aered was among those taken.

Where do my adventures begin? I consult the oracles.  I begin in the Ragged Coast, in a settlement called Highwatch [Dark, Mystical]. I decide there is a mystic here, who might give me insight into where my brother was taken. I roll to learn more about this place... Who is the leader and who is the Mystic?
The leader is a man named Pendry, his traits Brave, Disfigured. The Mystic’s name is Themon, and he is Remorseful and Dying.

I have recently arrived in the small settlement of Highwatch at the edge of the Ragged Coast. Located on the escarpment overlooking a fjord, it has a clear view for miles, and is often a trading neighbor for us. [traits: dark, mystical]  It is a dour and grim place, but there is mystic here who is said to have the sight, and perhaps they can give me a glimpse of who took my brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment