Friday, May 22, 2020

Prelude — The Return to Highwatch

I arise in the morning. Dev is nowhere to be found, but Polliver's shield is there, propped against the log.  Mojo is at the edge of an overgrown field; sniffing, pissing, doing the things his kind does. I break my fast quickly; I want to scour the grounds for a replacement blade.  If I have to face off against another Karrox again, I would like to be properly armed. 



[I roll a strong hit on resupply; instead of taking two supply though, I opt to say I take 1 supply, and I discover that Cadaverous Dev found a decent short blade and left it visible for me, leaned up against the body of one of the headless statues.] 

I heft the blade, taking a few practice strokes with it. It's well balanced, and the grip could be replaced, but it will serve. I slide it into my leather frog, I already feel more comfortable with a decent blade at my hip. 

[I begin the journey back; but because the way is now familiar to me, and I know the signs of a rampaging Karrox, I will set it to troublesome. A strong hit right away with double 3s on the Challenge dice. Something auspicious happens! I am going to say I make great time and will cover additional progress.]

The day has passed quickly and Mojo and I made good time. I even had a moment where the afternoon light was filtering through the trees where things felt... almost good. Sure, the wounds on my back itch something fierce, and I lost my good blade, but, Dev wasn't shite and shared his ale, Mojo and I have full bellies, and we're about to put paid to this vow I made. I am eager to get back to finding Aered. 

[My next day doesn't fare quite as well; a weak hit.  I make good time, but need to use supply.  Not a terrible result. With the strong hit the day before, I am at 7 progress. Going to call it and attempt a Reach your Destination. ... well... shhhhit.  Weak Hit. I arrive, but face an unforeseen hazard or complication... let's see.]

I arrive just outside the short palisade walls and immediately can tell something is wrong. Mojo's hackles are up even before we pass through the gate.  The entire village is gathered at the edges of their circle, huddled back in obvious fear.  Suspended in mid-air is Themon, hair and beard whipping in an unseen breeze - or no! It's much too slow - it's almost as if looking at him underwater. 

[The spirit has somehow gained possession of Themon ... what does it want?!  Gather Information and with a 2 versus 9/10 I am boned. "On a miss, your investigation unearths a dire threat or reveals an unwelcome truth that undermines your quest. Pay the Price." I am going to say that Possessed Themon has killed Pendry, the leader of Highwatch, who lies below the hovering bare feet of the mystic. Themon's back arches impossibly, and from his throat a ragged but powerful voice shouts words in an unknown tongue. Shit! Pendry was the one who had the information I needed, and the one I bargained with. But something must be done. However, I've returned and I have the shield, and that qualifies as a Milestone on the vow, methinks.]


Nissus steps forward with Polliver's shield.  Her clear voice rings out in the late morning air, "By iron and blood I swore to return, and here I stand spirit with your descendent's shield!" The heads of the villagers turn towards Nissus; their eyes tight with fatigue and fear.  She catches the panicked look of a young boy gripping tightly to his mother's hand, they are almost wild with fear. His hair, she thinks. That, and something about the way he stands.  Suddenly, she recalls a memory of Aered watching Nissus step into the warriors circle for her first training with the wooden blade and shield. Nissus smiles lightly, and nods to the boy, before straightening her spine and turning to fully face the floating Themon-spirit. 

[I think it's time to Face Danger, I think this takes Courage from Nissus, so we roll +heart... a 6! vs 2/8 = weak hit, I choose to Endure Harm. I think given the quest is Dangerous I'll take 2 Harm, and then I roll a strong hit on Endure Harm, I choose to embrace the pain and gain +1 Momentum]

The Themon-spirit screeches and the mystics eyes roll back into his head, and begin to glow with a blue-white light. Nissus raises Polliver's broken shield and shouts out "I have returned with your descendants shield, spirit! We will restore the sigil and place it upon a hero's bier and restore his name to the rolls of your clan!" In the blink of an eye, the floating body of the mystic shoots across the village circle and takes grip on the shield. 

Cold and malevolence radiate from the Themon-spirit, his/its hands have become claws, and they grip Nissues own hands on the shield, and they burn.  She grimaces, but refuses to relinquish the shield and stares defiant into the face of the wrathful of spirit.  "I will do right by Polliver. And Themon's truth will be known. This I swear if you go, leave off the tormenting of the people of Highwatch." 

[Enduring this harm and standing resolute before the angry spirit I think qualifies as another milestone for this quest. I account 8 progress.  Time to end this.  I Fullfill My Vow... 3 & 7! Strong hit! I gain 2 XP.]

A surge of cold and hate hits Nissus almost like a wave, and then, something else. A hint of gratitude, of a weariness beyond time, and the mystic falls abruptly to the ground. His eyes remain rolled back, and white froth bubbles from his mouth as he convulses, then stops.  Themon is dead.

Nissues proceeds to work with the local woodcrafter to restore and re-bind the shield, and they paint a bright, clear sigil for Polliver - a boar's head with a broken tusk. She relates the story of Polliver and Themon to the village.  They are disgusted by the cowardice, particularly from a man they once trusted to guide them through lean winters and prosper in the summer. They mourn for their chief, and raise up a new leader: Staysa (Hardhearted, Charming w/ disposition of Friendly); I figure this is a good chance to roll for Bond with the town...  Strong Hit! I choose not to attempt a bond with Stasya - at least not on this outing. But the town sees Nissus as a friend. 


Nissus is impressed by this young, strong woman whom the villagers have raised up.  She is kind, but realistic and will serve her people well. But, how will the town survive the forthcoming winter without the aid of their mystic? 



No comments:

Post a Comment